Wednesday, February 6, 2008

審理 - Shinri

I believe that in our lives, there are many times when you feel that everything around you are just so fake. To you, people are hypocritical, the world is a mirage, your dreams are unreal. There are so many things that are unjustified in this world of ours, and that truth is something that I believe everyone's trying to seek. It is something sacred and divine, something that will tell mankind what we should all really do, but is it something really there? Or is it something that we all have to come up with ourselves? The real truth, comes within oneself. Everyone has their own truth, everyone has their own thoughts, everyone has the right to live the way they want to.

Personally, since the start of school, I've been thinking about this for a bit, whether such The Universal Truth really existed. A good friend of mine, Cheng, told me that there's really no such thing to start off with, since everyone believed in the things they wanted to. Upon hearing this, the first thought that came to my mind was that, if there wasn't such a thing to start off with, then what for are we living right now? Why aren't there a set of rules for us to follow so as to lead meaningful lives? Shouldn't mankind just die out if we don't even have a goal to begin with?

It's sad to say this, but unfortunately, I don't think that there is any purpose in life for mankind. Some may say that we have dreams to fulfill, some may say that we'll just have to find meaning in our lives since we're already living, while some may say that their religions give meaning to their lives. Personally, I believe that all these things aren't purposeful at all, for they are all selfish ideals. Well, you can say that my dream would be that I'll become a doctor so great that I'm able to cure all diseases. This can be viewed as something that would benefit mankind, but does this really make our lives enriching and purposeful? I believe not. We are all doing this for ourselves, and not for the entire human race as a whole. If there weren't any purpose to start off with, why are we all working so hard?

We want to be rich, we want to be popular, we want to be good people. Basically, to sum it all up, we want a good life. We're all selfish beings, for we want our lives to be good. Not a single person in this world would want to lead a bad life, and I believe the reason would be that we're all selfish beings to start off with. Therefore, if there wasn't any Universal Truth to start off with, we'll all lead different lives, with different objectives, achieving different things, and not advance the entire world as a whole.

I believe that is why our world right now, is so full of sorrows, agony and anger. We're all fighting, against others as well as ourselves. We do not have something common to believe in. Everyone has their own truth, but the stronger ones would be able to convince others that their own truth is the real truth. Even right now, as I'm writing this, I feel so disgusted by the fact that I'm trying to convince others that I'm correct and that people who beg to differ would be incorrect. Get the logic? Without a Universal Truth, there really isn't a point to live, is there?

I believe that regarding this matter, the worst part of it would be that people do not even trust themselves anymore. Sometimes, at a point in time, we would doubt ourselves, whether what we're doing is right or wrong. We would start thinking for every single thing that we do, be it making friends, or studying for a test etc. As for myself, I have started to analyze people, so that I would be able to make sure that hypocrites won't share a part of my life. I have even started to analyze myself, making sure that every move I make would come from my heart, that I am not a hypocrite who would do things that they don't even mean to. After reading the previous statement, are you able to find any mistakes? If you have not, then try reading the sentence again, because the biggest mistake that I have made would be that I am self contradicting.

'I have even started to analyze myself, making sure that every move I make would come from my heart, that I am not a hypocrite who would do things that they don't even mean to.' If I were to make sure that every move I make would come from my heart, then this would be invalid, since it is being thought through. What I'm trying to say is that, I cannot make sure that even move that I make would come from my heart, since if I have thought through it, then it's not something that's from my own heart already. However, if I rely on my own feelings too much, I won't be able to do the correct things, since emotions are wrong at several occasions. A very good example would be love, for it is something that most people confuse with lust and infatuation.

Get the idea why there should be a Universal Truth? For this particular entry, I've noticed that I've asked a damn lot of questions, but who would be there to answer them? In the end, the only answer to our own questions, would be ourselves. Logic isn't really logical to start with, since it is something made up by mankind, so logic itself is self contradictory. Emotions can't guide our way to enlightenment, since they often mislead us.

At the end of our lives, I believe that we'll actually realize how meaningless life is. Even if the Universal Truth really existed, would people actually believe it? We doubt so much that even facts do not seem factual to us. Theories, ideas, beliefs and whatever that come to our minds will always be doubted. In the end, there is actually no one whom you can fully trust, and that we all just have to accept the fact that life as Man, is of no importance and there's no purpose for the existance of mankind.

Shinri is something that can never exist, but for human beings to live happily, we'll need it somehow, even if it means that we'll have to lie.

See the contradiction? ;]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello
I must clarify that I never actually said that there is no universal truth, just that there is no universal truth to a human being, for all that he can perceive and think are relative to himself, and thus the perceived truth is subject to modifications by each individual's unique qualities. For example,someone named X is ******* short, and normally we look at him and compare to ourselves: X is shorter than me, or X is shorter than yitao, or X is taller than the amoeba. Actually he may not be short at all, for short is a relative term, he just possesses certain qualities that, when perceived by us relative to our own understanding, gives us the idea that he is short. Say, X's height compared to me is like my height compared to the city hall, but I dont call myself short, but instead i call the city hall tall.
Also, you said yourself that there is no universal truth. Why then do you claim that humanity holds no value? To be honest i agree with u that man is no different from shit, but that agreement is of the same nature as I would agree with u had u said that the sun would rise tomorrow. There is a great chance that man has no value, but u cant be sure.
That's why you shouldn't follow with ur lusts, or pride, for those things can be fully explained from a evolutionary or biochemical angles, and what is explained already holds no potential, and thus no value, but there is a part in man that no science can explain. The heart and the mind, or the soul (I am a supporter of Cartesian dualism) that which is responsible for the miracle that is man. That which cannot be explained, which cannot be understood, and thus holds potential and value, and any human that possess it will have a value in his life. I am not saying that there is DEFINITELY something special about the heart and mind, but ignorance equates hope.

p.s. Some human beings one nanometer taller than amoeba may not have enough capacity to store a soul.

The author

A boy, a kid, a student.