Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Today, I used Detachment.

It was Tuesday. The sky boded well, it was dark, thick and it was a pleasant sight. The sun wasn't up in the sky at all, it was a cooling day. This was the omen I'd been waiting for, and it would be required for what I was supposed to do for the rest of the day. I needed good omens, for my social studies project, for we needed luck in order to acquire the things that we've needed. A video camera, a wire for connecting it and time to study for my Geography test tomorrow.

Upon acquiring these items by afternoon, I had a feeling that we just might be able to do all the things we'd wanted by today. However, it came to me as a fact that our project would take too much time, and the only day that we would be able to finish everything would be on Sunday. I stood still, shocked and stunned, not knowing what had just hit me. Loneliness crept into me, it felt surprisingly cold. I understood why. Sunday had been an important day, and now, it would be nothing, all because of this particular project. I sulked, there was no other way, Loneliness went deeper, taking over what's left of my fragile soul.

I was being eaten up, until something blocked Loneliness from entering any deeper. It was Optimism. As I had mentioned on my previous post, Optimism was a shield. A shield that would protect one against any forms of danger, any forms of distraction, and finally, any forms of pain. Of course, apart from Optimism, something had helped me too. It was wise Morrie, from the book that I'd read from "Tuesdays with Morrie".

Morrie had come up with an idea of Detachment, an idea of feeling a particular form of Emotion fully, and then detach yourself from it after knowing what it's really like. It's the same as learning how your enemies are like, and then defeating them once you've learned about them. A simple concept, and yet it was hard to grasp for most people.

Some would keep a particular form of Emotion that would hidden inside them, thinking that this would make the others around them happier, but I don't agree with this concept, for the longer the Emotion's kept, the more powerful it becomes. This would only mean that the Emotion would break free one day and the user wouldn't be able to control it no longer.

Another method of managing one's particular Emotions that I wouldn't agree to, would be letting them on another person. As we all know, there would be certain points in our lives that we would lose our temper, and simply hurt the ones around us due to this action that we've committed. Sometimes, as simple as it might have seemed to be, a scar might have been left unknowingly. I believe that many teenagers are hurt because of situations like these, but do take note that as a teenager myself, I would say that we've hurt others around us because of such situations too.

I tried detaching myself from something that would hurt me. It had worked well, and I hope that others would follow in my footsteps, or rather, Morrie's footsteps, in managing their Emotions through Detachment. This was not escape, this was not avoidance, this was no ignorance. Detachment was a method that would allow its user to fully understand what he or she was feeling, and that through this course of action, the user would be able to gain a better control over the Emotions that would hurt him or her.

After Detachment, I was once again a happy person, being back to who I was the whole time. Everything went well, and the omens were indeed true. Everyone was happy with what they'd done so far, and I was indeed happy with the results that we've gotten at the end of the day.

It was until I've gotten home, when I had to sulk once more. Everything that we'd worked so hard for had vanished. The video camera that we used to take videos for our Social Studies project was left on the MRT train by a friend of ours. I was fuming, red hot with anger, and I was on the verge of going berserk.

Until, Detachment came about once more, and cooled the burning soul of mine. Optimism was once again in place, and I believed that we would be able to find the video camera. If not, I would just have to work harder, so as to produce a better result.

This was motivation, this was yet another pushing force, this was improvement. Indeed, the omens boded well, and that we'd done a good job for the day, but we'll always be able to do better, as long as we keep working hard for it. There's never an end to anything, and all hope remains, as long as our hearts and souls remain as strong as ever, without any distractions from our Emotions, and with Detachment guiding us ahead.

Live it, feel it, and understand yourself. Work harder for a bright future, and not sulk over what you've lost, for none is lost, until you've declared it.

6 comments:

inezkayla said...

OMGG.
you english like SOO chim lah. ((:

Anonymous said...

lol, i guess "it" makes it hard for readers to understand fully... ...

Anonymous said...

Wa seh. So many people supporting your blog sia. Lol. Agreed. Your posts seriously are chim =.=ll

Jack said...

lawl, was that really hard to understand? ;/ it's my way of describing things though, just hope that more people would like it.

Anonymous said...

omg
burning soul!!!
OMG
BURNING SOUL
RAWR
HOT HOT
BURNING
MUAHAHAHA
I AM GETTING BURNED BY YOUR SOUL
OH NOES!

Unknown said...

I sense a yi xuan above

The author

A boy, a kid, a student.