Sunday, July 29, 2007

Yesterday, I learnt how to Listen.

It was a day full of bustling activity. I was busy with practices for our performance for some citizens from a few blocks who were in need of financial aid. Our school was helping out to refurbish their houses and all, and my group of people was suppose to put up a performance.

Well, just after the practice, I was just waiting at the backstage, walking back and forth so as to calm myself down for the upcoming performance. I noticed that an old lady, trying to talk to some boys beside her, but to no avail, no one understood what she said. Curious, I approached her, wondering what help I would be of to her.

She talked in malay, which I knew nothing about. However, I just stood there, looking at her as she moved her hands around, describing excitedly about whatever she was talking about, her eyes wide open, and her only tooth, sticking out, shining ever so brightly as she started to tell me her stories.

I looked into her eyes, I tried to listen, but I could not understand any of the things she had said. However, I noticed something special about this one-way conversation, she was happy. Everytime, I looked into her eyes and smiled, she would smile back at me and laugh at herself, just like how my grandmother would always do when I replied to her story-telling sessions.

Well, I thought that that old lady reminded me of my grandmother, and it was also because of that, I had just realized that my grandmother had always wanted something from us. She wanted us to Listen to her.

In this world, everyone wants to be Listened, everyone likes having someone to listen to them. Take this blog for example, my motive may be that I would like to record some things that I've learnt, but I would also like more people to listen to me, so that I'll be heard and noticed.

Listening is a powerful tool for communication. Listening promotes understanding. The more one listens to another, the more one knows about that person. I believe that everyone would want to be Listened, for hardly anyone would like the fact that they're alone and unnoticed.

Live it, feel it. In our lives, I believe that Listening is essential for every single being, Listen more to the others around you, Listen more to the ones who love you, and most importantly, Listen to your heart, and make the best out of what you really want.

To my grandmother, and those who were always left alone because you were unheard, I apologize for what I've done, for I and of course, all of us, have taken many things for granted.

To the ones who've been Listening to me, especially my mother, my father, my two sisters, my wonderful friends (Y.X, Zar, Z.F and Cheng), my elder god sister who always seemed like my real elder sister (Laffiee), and of course H.T.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wa seh. 'And of course H.T' LOL. Okay okay. Don't crap liao. Nice post. Jia you. ^^

Unknown said...

Hm...
Three things to note here
1: thnx for putting my name up there, though i strongly recommend you arrange the names in alphabetical order =P

2:You dont go having crushes on real sisters, so Laffie cant seem to you like a real elder sister

3:HT...O.o...is this an open confession of love? I think so...hehehe...

p.s. Again, please do not delete this post

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack said...

personally, i dont think the comments were that necessarily. i'll hope to see more comments regarding the content of the written work more than things about my personal life. D;

thanks for reading anyway.

Unknown said...

i swear in the name of god what i posted on this blog are 100% true to my knowledge, for those who wish to clarify matters, go ask guang yu

Unknown said...

For the author's desire that more constructive comments be posted, here goes:

I would like to comment on the "listen to your heart part"

GY, if you know that you need to listen to the heart, then do so.

Giving excuses and forcing yourself to believe your actions are out of some purpose which isnt really true is not an action of listening to the heart (refers to claims of a particular experiment)

Go ask yourself honestly, is the wish to conduct an experiment to satisfy curiosity all it takes to have a crush?

Anonymous said...

aww didi~

thanks for putting my name up there.

i'll always listen to u whenever u need.. coz u listen to me too! :)

<3 u much! hehe

inezkayla said...

I SEE MY NAME UP THERE!! (:
im touched.

and thanks for listening to miie to! (:

tmr's going to be the last lesson with you all. i'll miss all of you. :D

Jack said...

lawl, thanks for reading even when i've not asked you too. i'm very glad that at least some people haven't forgotten about my blog. haha.

well, due to the amount of homework i'm coping with right now, i'll be unable to write anything until the september holidays.

once again, thanks for reading ;]

Anonymous said...

gor. ni hen qi guai leh. blog ma. of course won't forget la. =.= oh ya i have something to ask you. important. o.o

Anonymous said...

for once i agree with the alien from mars. xD

pufang said...

hello
Listening to someone is as good as encouraging them and telling them you care :D
i think its really good how you manage to put your thoughts in words. haha. most of the time i think, but when i try to put them now, they come out really inadequate. =O
anyway, good luck to your dreams that you wish to achieve. i think listening will become really important in order to achieve that.

Pupster said...

why all like so emo?

Anonymous said...

The Lyford Cay School serves as a community resource after international and Bahamian families. Lyford Cay College offers a acme law Nursery through High Creed education. To the core a multi-cultural circumstances that promotes reason amongst diverse nationalities, students are provided with the opportunities and resources to ripen into cross-cultural learners and front-office citizens. Lyford Cay Seminary is an independent, non-denominational, time school. The high school is a non-profit-making object governed before a Meals of Directors.

http://vukozocetu.wordpress.com/
http://abykatuguw.wordpress.com/
http://dizagicy.wordpress.com/
http://ujojeby.wordpress.com/

The author

A boy, a kid, a student.